10 flightsvaried landscapes
3 dayscountless adventures
2 proslearn from the best
The picture-perfect holiday
Let the mountains be your muse in remote, photo-worthy locations. A helicopter will take you and your professional instructor to some of the world’s most jaw-dropping vistas – where you’ll hike as you learn to capture their majesty on-film.
Great tales of adventure
Experience a unique trek through the Columbia Mountains, led by our Adventurer in Residence, Brian Keating. On this engaging, entertaining and educational expedition, you'll learn from one of the planet's most in-demand nature speakers through stories and discussions.
Your partners in safety
Our helicopters are flown by experienced mountain pilots who work closely with our knowledgeable guides. Together, they'll take you to all the best (and safest) vantage points for shots, and memories, that you won't believe.
Rest your brain and your limbs at the end of a long day of learning in our Bugaboos and Bobbie Burns Lodges, where you can unwind and trade tips with your fellow students – or find some liquid inspiration at the bar.
Book Your Dream Trip
Photography with John E. Marriott
John’s 20 years of experience in wilderness photography are at your disposal. With the Columbia Mountains as your backdrop, you’ll learn to get the best photos in a variety of light and landscapes. Back at Bugaboos Lodge in the evenings, John will teach you techniques you can practice in the field.
Adventurer in Residence with Brian Keating
For over 30 years, Brian has led groups on nature-based travel trips, exploring some of the best wildlife areas worldwide. Now it's your chance to learn through this guided hiking and walking adventure. At the end of each day, engage in stimulating (and sometimes hilarious) discussions with your group as you relax in our Bobbie Burns Lodge.
frequently asked questions
- What makes the Photography Workshops special? What's included?
What makes our Photography Workshops so special is that for 2.5 days, you will have the services of a professional photographer to provide tips, suggestions and instructions.
If you are part of a small group workshop (maximum of 11 guests), you will receive one on one instruction.
- Do I need to be an avid hiker?
No. This trip is more about photography instruction, and you do not need to be an avid hiker.
- What's a typical day like?
Our overall plan is to capture a morning sunrise, various different landscapes each day and a sunset shoot. Our guide/photographer team provides us with as many photo opportunities as possible in a time frame that allows us to fully explore the possibilites in each area. This program focuses on getting the right shots with little hiking. To complement the field workshop, we’ll have daily slide presentations demonstrating a variety of photographic topics such as lighting, composition, macro photography, and much more.
- Is instruction included in my Photography Workshop?
Yes, instruction is included as part of your Photography Workshop.
- How much photography experience do I need?
The Photography Workshops are not for beginners, and you must have some previous photography experience.
- What's the weather like?
Due to the high mountain environment, expect to experience various conditions. The weather can be sunny and warm, but be prepared for cooler tempertaures, rain, wind and possibly snow.
Mountain weather can change with very little warning. Temperatures range from highs of 10 to 35 degrees C (50 - 95F) to lows of -1 to 15 degrees C (30 - 50F).
- What should I pack for a Summer Workshop?
All of CMH’s Summer adventures include accommodation at one of two spectacular lodges, food and non-alcoholic beverages, certified guides and helicopter pilots, safety training and the use of hiking equipment (boots, jackets, daypacks, rainpants, walking poles, and water bottles). Our What’s Included page will give you full details on everything that is included.
For our Summer Workshops, we recommend you pack the following:
- Lightweight sweater/fleece/vest
- 2 long- and short-sleeved shirts or technical shirts
- Comfortable pants for hiking (jeans are not recommended)
- 2-3 pairs of socks (wool or synthetic; thick and thin pairs)
- Shorts (or zip-off combination long pants/shorts)
- Good-quality sunglasses
- Hat or ball cap
- Warm gloves (be prepared for all types of weather)
- Water bottle
- Thin leather (or similar) gloves if you are participating in a Via Ferrata or Glacier Trek (you can also purchase these gloves in our lodge shop)
- Optional items: alarm clock, flashlight, trekking poles, binoculars, lunch container
- What camera equipment should I pack for a Photography Workshop?
In addition to the regular packing list, for our Photography Workshops you will also need to pack:
- Camera: A digital SLR is preferred, with at least one wide angle lens (17-40, 28-105, etc.); please ensure you also bring your camera manual
- Camera gear/accessories: Filters and filter holders (we recommend bringing at least a polarizing filter and a graduated split neutral density filter), memory cards, spare batteries, a tripod, wide angle lense, and raincovers (plastic bags will do); you do not need a flash for this workshop
- Lenses: Include all lenses (including macro lenses or extension tubes), except for large telephotos (70-200 and 100-400 types of lightweight zoom lenses are recommended, but please do not bring big, heavy lenses like a 500 or 600); bring what you would normally bring with you on a day hike for photography
- Laptop and card reader (not required, but will be useful so our Workshop instructor can critique some of your photos during the workshop, and so you can download your photos each night)
- Small umbrella (foot-long model if you can fit it in your luggage; if not, then we’ll just use plastic bags)
- I have a history of health issues - what medical supplies do you have on site?
You shoud be prepared and bring your own medications, although we do have some basic medicine that can be purchased in our retail shop. Extensive first aid kits and resuscitation kits are part of the lodge emergency supplies.
- Will we have any wildlife encounters?
In all of our trips, we strive to avoid wildlife encounters.