Fun for Everyoneall paces, ages 6 and up
heli ridesreach new heights
Rugged Mountainsyours to explore
The world's biggest playground
The Columbia Mountains officially put every playground, backyard and summer camp to shame. Nope, there aren’t monkey bars or tents – but with zip-lines, rock climbing, mountain goats and ancient glaciers, we don’t think your kids will mind.
All you need is a thirst for adventure
Someone in the family that hasn't hiked before? No problem. We’ve hosted newbies, novices and family members of all ages. Each morning, our leaders and guides will devise a day tailored to your abilities. They respect your limitations and they respect the mountains; so they make sure everything you do is 100% safe.
Remote and rustic meet comfort and luxury
Back at Bobbie Burns or Bugaboos Lodge, the adventure is over but the fun’s just getting started. Our staff will keep the kids occupied with games and crafts while you take a much-deserved break. Reconvene for dinner or let the little ones eat early with our trip leaders.
Book Your Dream Trip
What happens when you combine million-year-old mountains with zip-lines, glaciers, waterfalls, and your whole family? Quality time, completely redefined. Our 3- or 6-night lodge-to-lodge trips are packed with scenery, activities, memories, and laughter.
frequently asked questions
- Will I hike with my family during the entire trip?
Parents hike with other adults, while children hike together with their leader and guide. Parents can choose to hike with their children, but children are not allowed to hike in the adult groups.
- What is the minimum and maximum age for children?
Our Family Adventures are geared for children 6 - 14 years of age. Children younger than 6 years of age are welcome, but parents must accompany them in the children’s groups.
- There's a lot of people in our family - can you accommodate all of us?
Absolutely - we can accommodate up to 44 guests on any one trip.
- What's a typical day look like?
A day on a CMH Summer Family Adventure is anything but typical! While the adults will enjoy Heli-Hiking in their own group, our guides are on hand to keep the kids engaged and entertained all day. Along with hiking, they may be doing anything from rock hunting to popping tree sap.
All the families are back together for dinner on the first day (kids eat earlier on subsequent days), and then kids can spend the evening playing games or enjoying activities like face painting and art projects.
- What's included in my trip? What should I pack?
All of CMH’s Summer adventures include accommodation at one of two spectacular lodges, food and non-alcoholic beverages, certified guides and helicopter pilots, safety training and the use of hiking equipment (boots, jackets, daypacks, rainpants, walking poles, and water bottles). Our What’s Included page will give you full details on everything that is included.
For our Family Adventures, we recommend you pack the following:
- Lightweight sweater/fleece/vest
- 2 long- and short-sleeved shirts or technical shirts
- Comfortable pants for hiking (jeans are not recommended)
- 2-3 pairs of socks (wool or synthetic; thick and thin pairs)
- Shorts (or zip-off combination long pants/shorts)
- Good-quality sunglasses
- Hat or ball cap
- Warm gloves (be prepared for all types of weather)
- Water bottle
- Thin leather (or similar) gloves if you are participating in a Via Ferrata or Glacier Trek (you can also purchase these gloves in our lodge shop)
- Optional items: alarm clock, flashlight, trekking poles, binoculars, lunch container
- What's the weather like?
Due to the high mountain environment, expect to experience various conditions. The weather can be sunny and warm, but be prepared for cooler tempertaures, rain, wind and possibly snow.
Mountain weather can change with very little warning. Temperatures range from highs of 10 to 35 degrees C (50 - 95F) to lows of -1 to 15 degrees C (30 - 50F).
- Will my kids fly in the helicopter alone?
Whenever your children are riding in the helicopter, they will be accompanied by CMH Guides, and professional Family Adventure Leaders.