When will I receive more detailed information about my trip?
As soon as you have booked your trip we will send you a comprehensive information package that includes:
- General Information and Travel Tips
- Descriptive Heli-Hiking itinerary
- Waiver form that you will need to complete and return it to our office prior to your trip start date
- Electronic Guest Questionnaire for you to complete online.
- Packing List
- Optional Reading List
What do I need to pack?
You are welcome to bring your own hiking gear – boots, pack and rain wear. Also note that laundry facilities and soap are available at the lodges (no charge).
We provide some of the specialized gear you will need for backcountry heli-hiking:
- Light weight jacket and pants ( wind and rain resistant)
- Technical, waterproof, leather hiking boots (Salomon, Tecnica, Garmont) ranging from children's size 13 – men's size 13, medium width
- Ear protectors for use in the helicopter
- Rain pants
- Canvas Lunch Bag
What you should bring for yourself (or pick up at our well-stocked on-site shop):
- Light weight sweater/ fleece and/or vest
- Two long and short sleeved shirts or technical shirts
- Comfortable pants for hiking (jeans are not recommended)
- Two or three pairs of socks (wool or synthetic, thick and thin pairs)
- Shorts (zip-off long pant/shorts combination)
- Good quality sunglasses
- Hat or ball cap, warm gloves (be prepared for all types of weather)
- Camera (with lots of space on your memory card!)
- Swim suit
- Insect repellent and sunscreen
- Indoor shoes/sandals
- OPTIONAL ITEMS: alarm clock, flashlight, trekking poles, binoculars
There are many new technical fabrics that are ideal for use in the mountains; they wick away moisture, dry quickly and keep you warm. These can be purchased at the retail shop at each CMH lodge.
What travel documents do I need?
A valid passport is required for entry into Canada. To avoid delays at Canadian Customs, please be sure your passport and supporting information is up-to-date.
Where should I fly to?
We recommend you fly to the Calgary International Airport as all trips originate in Banff . Call us for alternate pick up locations if your arrangements differ.
There are several companies, which provide scheduled ground transportation from Calgary airport to Banff (and Lake Louise ). These shuttles depart almost hourly. A private land transfer or car rental can also be arranged by calling our Vacation Planners .
How do I get to the start of the trip?
How do I get to the airport at the end of the trip?
Plan to arrive in the Banff/Lake Louise area at least one day prior to the start of your Heli-Hiking adventure. Our Vacation Planning team can assist with booking all your land arrangements before and after Heli-Hiking including transfer from the Calgary Airport to Banff (or Lake Louise), accommodation before the trip starts and at the end of your trip if necessary. Call our Vacation Planners if you require assistance with your plans.
Your Heli-Hiking trip includes ground transportation from Banff to the Bugaboo and Bobbie Burns helipads. Our coaches depart designated locations (TBA) at specific times. Should you miss the scheduled CMH transport, you are responsible for all costs incurred. Ground transportation is also included from the Bugaboo and Bobbie Burns helipads to the Calgary Airport.
You may choose to drive directly to all CMH helipads. If driving, please inform us, and plan to arrive at the helipad at least 15 minutes prior to the first flight. Maps to the helipad are available.
The helicopter schedule is fixed. Again, please ensure you arrive in advance of the first flight.
Detailed itineraries including times and locations are included in your information package.
- Plan to arrive in the Banff/Lake Louise area at least one day prior to the start of your Heli-Hiking adventure.
- Our Vacation Planners can assist with booking all your land arrangements before and after your Summer Adventures vacation, including transfer from the Calgary Airport to Banff (or Lake Louise) and accommodation before and after your trip, if necessary.
- Trips include ground transportation from Banff to the Bugaboo and Bobbie Burns helipads.
- Trips also include ground transportation is also included from the helipads to the Calgary Airport at the end of your trip.
Can I self-drive to the heli-pad?
Yes. You can also drive directly to all CMH helipads. If driving, plan to arrive at the helipad at least 15 minutes prior to the first flight (see itinerary for details). The helicopter schedule is fixed. Please let us know if you need a maps to the helipad.
Is massage available? Can I pre-book?
Yes, CMH hires massage practitioners that specialize in sports and therapeutic massages, and each lodge provides massage services.
Reservations for massages can be made on your first day once the massage therapists introduced themselves (normally after dinner). Sorry, no advance/pre-bookings.
30 minutes: $65
45 minutes: $85
60 minutes: $105
90 minutes: $140
*HST is not included in massage rates.
How fit should I be?
Our program accommodates all levels of fitness, so we leave this completely up to your discretion. Whether you’re up for hiking, walking, ambling, or (conditions permitting) mountaineering, we tailor each Heli-Hiking day for all levels of fitness, experience, and all ages. We split our groups as necessary so everyone can stay within their comfort level. All you really need is a thirst for adventure, but if you choose to embark on a fitness routine prior to travel, our friends at Fit For Trips can custom design a program specific to your heli-hiking goals.
How do gratuities (tips) work?
Gratuities are not included in our prices, nor are they expected. If you feel that the staff service throughout your stay deserves gratuity please feel free to include one at the end of your ski trip. Gratuities are divided among all the staff at the lodge.